Sunday, April 1, 2012

Daily Painters of Pennsylvania Challenge


First I would like to thank DPP artists and especially Mary Beth Brath for allowing me to participate in March DPP challenge. 

I was initially drawn to DPP challenge because of the light and my assumption of wow this would be fun to draw, little did I know my interpretation of a bird’s nest was going to be a painful one which involved some research, patience and a technique I might have used once or twice in the past.  The light hit the eggs just right, not to dark and not to light with a little bit of reflected light and shadow.   Things got a little problematic or stressful when it was time to address the nest ( I should of did a close up).  I figured a negative drawing of the nest was the best approach, although it was rather difficult to see a pattern to the nest other than overlapping sticks and twigs.  Twenty plus hours later, I’m fairly happy with result although it’s not complete, close up looks so good right now J.  Hopefully I will have time to go back and complete the drawing and post the entire nest as opposed to the close up.





Bird’s nest 5" x 7"
Colored pencil, white chalk & graphite on toned paper



Bird’s nest WIP

2 comments:

  1. Corey, tried to get on here yesterday , blogger is making things so difficult.
    Your nest is beautiful, really good.
    I did one similar (yours is better) lol ! a few years ago and it sold to someone in Australia .. it's still on my blog somewhere . I have just discoverd a pencil artist called Paul Cadden (Scotland) .. you will not believe his photorealist work . I was blown away by it. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbra, your nest is just as good and I like the color.
    Paul Cadden work is amazing. wow! I counldn't believe how realistic it look. I wonder how long it take to complete a piece.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...