Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Clio, the Muse of History WIP




I took this photo in Gettysburg last month for the upcoming Gettysburg Festival plein air event.  There are a few areas I normally go to in Gettysburg to draw and paint but I have a tendency to always stay close to my comfort zone or the familiar places.  This particular morning I came out with the intentions of taking photos, no sketch pad, no paint, just my camera on a beautiful day. 

Initially some of my photographs were okay but I wasn’t getting the perfect picture or the “that’s it moment” until the end of the morning. 

I thought I should take a few photos of the monuments that mean so much to us.  I am glad I took the time to really get out of my normal mind set and enjoy the landscape.  Clio sits fairly high on Slocum Ave in Gettysburg.  A frontal picture wasn’t too appealing since it didn’t show exactly what she was doing, but from her right side were very interesting angles.  It was amazing especially not knowing at the time the angles were going to work so well together. 

Below is a link to the monument.



2 comments:

  1. Nice sketch, I know what you mean about photos, sometimes it's not easy to get the 'right' one. We;re always on the lookout though, and so rewarding when that one comes along .
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbra. I guess that's one of the joys and pains of art, trying to find the beauty in whatever we are capturing and make it our best work possible.

    Clio is a little different than my detailed, realistic approach. Hopefully I'm successful in conveying more of an intimate and curiousity with what she is doing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...