Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rose


Rose 9" x 11.5" graphite and watercolor pencil on Arches 140lb watercolor paper

I was initially drawn to this photo for the interesting lines, single color and an opportunity to capture wood texture.  This was the first time I attempting to draw wood and use watercolor pencils together.  I normally use watercolor pencils for sketching plein air or color studies. 
My first sketch was a value study for the wood texture and layering watercolor pencils wet or dry.   The second sketch was on Arches cold press (a little texture/tooth to the paper) and the watercolor pencil showed too much texture.  The only solution was to apply the watercolor pencils wet with a brush.
I am very satisfied with the result although I don’t see myself using watercolor pencils and graphite on textured paper any time soon. 
Photo reference from desicomments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...